The Moving Checklist
If you’re planning a new move, then you’ll want to create a moving checklist that helps you plan your next big adventure. People who create a customized moving task list that includes things like coupons, a list of things that needs to be done, email reminders, and other items typically experience far less frustration on their moving days. While it can take some time and effort to create a successful moving checklist, individuals that spend the time beforehand preparing for their move can save themselves a lot of time and effort later on down the line. Since moving is a stressful experience, anyway, creating a moving checklist allows individuals to undergo smoother moving days with far less hassle.
One way to create a successful moving checklist is to set up a planner that makes suggestions about what individuals should do as they near their moving dates. By creating a planner as part of a moving checklist, people are able to plan ahead and take the steps necessary to create a successful move. So, prior to your move, you’ll need to think about how you are moving. For example, are you doing the move yourself, or are you hiring a professional company to assist you with the move? As you ask yourself these questions, start thinking about the weekly steps you’ll need to take and your budget. If you are moving yourself or hiring movers, you’ll need to do some research to estimate your expenses. Remember, though, that if you do use a moving company, make sure you do plenty of research on them to ensure that the company you settle on is both licensed and insured.
The Moving Checklist: 8 Weeks Before the Move
The first thing to do when moving is to schedule your Cool Box portable storage unit. These moving storage containers are reliable, safe, and secure containers to store items for the short as well as long term, whether you’re planning to move or simply store your belongings in a portable unit. After getting the scheduling checked off your list, this is the perfect time to downsize and do that spring cleaning you’ve been putting off for years! Add these items to your moving to-do list and keep the smooth process going!
- Use this time to sort through your belongings. Know what is coming with you, what is staying behind, or what is being donated.
- When scheduling your Cool Box arrival, give yourself enough time to load your belongings. If you’re going to be loading your Cool Box yourself, consider giving yourself a large window of time so you aren’t rushing around.
- Shipping cars? Schedule your car pick-up so your car arrives before you arrive, ensuring you have transportation.
- At this point you should hire your movers – make sure they are licensed and trusted and consider this a feat in checking off your moving checklist.
- Be sure that you create a moving file or folder to store quotes and receipts during the time of your move.
The Moving Checklist: 6 Weeks Before the Move
As your moving checklist grows and you begin getting closer to the big day, here are some important things to remember when you are six weeks out.
- Moving out of state? Be sure to make your travel arrangements such as lodging or flights, you don’t want to over pay or not have somewhere to sleep!
- At this point you should have sorted through your belongings and know what is coming and going so this is a good time to order your packing supplies (tape, boxes, etc.).
- Something often forgotten to be added to moving checklists is asking for doctor and insurance referrals. Add this to your moving to-do list now!
- Research your new homes surroundings and make sure your bank has a branch near you.
The Moving Checklist: 4 Weeks Before the Move
When creating your moving checklist, we want to be sure you take all things into consideration, such as changing your address! See our recommended steps leading up to your big, or little move when you are just one month out:
- Purchase moving insurance to ensure all your items are protected.
- Depending where you are moving, your Cool Box might need a permit for being on city streets. Don’t forget! You can also store your Cool Box at one of our local yards.
- Schedule your new utility services to be connected when you arrive. Additionally, schedule your current utilities to be disconnected from your current home.
- File a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service, all billing companies, and any online accounts.
Make sure your friends, family, and place of work are notified by this stage!
The Moving Checklist: 2 Weeks Before the Move
You are getting closer! With just two weeks before your move, thinking about your moving to-do list is probably overwhelming, but we are here to help. Keep calm by following our two weeks before the move checklist.
- Moving out of state? This is a good time to prepare vehicle registration to avoid any penalties.
- This might slip your mind to add to the moving checklist, however pets can get anxious and often in the way, so we suggest scheduling somewhere safe for them to go the day of the move.
- If driving, start researching the best route for the move.
- This is a good time to send out a moving announcement. Moves can be stressful, so you don’t want to forget to inform everyone!
The Moving Checklist: The Week Before the Move
The week is finally here, you are just days away from moving. Your moving to-do list should be winding down and there should just be those last-minute items to take care of and check off.
- Cancel or redirect any scheduled or reoccurring deliveries to your new home address.
- You might love it or hate it, but it’s time to clean! Don’t leave a mess for the landlord or new home owner.
- Take this time to triple check all hidden areas to make sure nothing is left behind. This seems like a simple moving checklist item, but it can often be forgotten.
- Another thing to do when moving is to pack your box of essentials for moving day (see below for helpful reminders).
- Don’t forget to withdraw some cash for the journey whether its near or far.
- This is a good time to confirm your moving day details with Cool Box on container delivery and pick-up expectations.
- If you hired movers, re-confirm the date and time the movers should arrive.
The Don’t Pack Moving Checklist:
This moving checklist is often forgotten or skimmed over, but we are here to remind you of what not to pack so you’re not climbing over desks and beds in your Cool Box to get to your change of clothes out of the back!
- Cell phone charger
- Laptop and charger
- A change of clothes
- Toiletries (soap, tooth brush, shampoo, deodorant, etc.)
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Trash bags
- Snacks and water
- Tape measure
- Any irreplaceable items
The Moving Checklist: Moving Day
The day we have been leading up to has come, it’s moving day! Don’t let the business of the day get in the way of your moving to-do list. Feel confident when crossing these moving day checklist items off!
- Make sure utilities have been shut off and turned on in your new place, you don’t want to be paying in two places or have no electricity upon arrival.
- Make sure you have an emergency contact on call in case anything comes up during the move.
- Take that final walk-through of your old place and make sure to take a moment to soak in the memories.
- Before the arrival to your new home, make sure you picked up the keys.
- Friendly reminder that when unloading your Cool Box, be careful when opening as things may have shifted during transportation.
The Moving Checklist: Post Move
You did it! You completed the move into your new home. We have provided a few final items to check off your moving checklist and start to settle in.
- Make your bed and put your shower curtain up first!
- Aim to unpack your boxes in the first few days. Need more time? No worries, keep your Cool Box as long as you need. Simply contact us with an updated time frame.
- Order new checks with your updated address.
- Update your license and car information with your need address.
We hope that this moving checklist helps ease up the stress of your big day. Remember: Moving doesn’t have to be overwhelming when you work with Cool Box! Our services are designed to minimize the stress of moving and to help check the biggest thing off your moving checklist. Find time to process the transition and emotional rollercoaster that moving often entails, including saying goodbyes to friends, colleagues, and close family. After all, isn’t that the most ‘moving’ part of every move?
Choose Cool Box Portable Storage Units to make your transition easier! Fill out our ‘Instant Online Quote Form’ for Portable Moving Containers so you can estimate your moving expenditures or if you have any questions, call us today, we are here for you!